Good morning, everyone! Today is my mum’s birthday! To celebrate this very special day, I thought it would be fun to share some of Mum’s favorite books and authors with you.
My mum has loved reading for a long time, and has given me tons of great book and author recommendations. Her favorite genres are Christian fiction and mysteries. She also gave me the best reading advice that I have ever heard. In her words, “Life’s too short to read a book you’re not enjoying…unless it’s for school.” That advice has been invaluable to me over the years.
Here are some of the books and authors that my mum recommends reading…
- Mary Higgins Clark — Mum has been a fan of Mary Higgins Clark for a long time, and has read a lot of her books. Loves Music, Loves to Dance is a particular favorite.
- Mrs. Mike, by Benedict and Nancy Freeman
- The Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Mysteries, by Sue Grafton
- The Christy Miller series, by Robin Jones Gunn
- Carolyn Keene — Mum read the Nancy Drew and Dana Girls mystery series when she was growing up, and we read them together when I was a kid. Her favorite Nancy Drew book is The Phantom of Pine Hill.
- A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeline L’Engle
- The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, by C.S. Lewis
- The Danielle Ross Mystery series, by Gilbert Morris
- Bill Peet — My mum loves Bill Peet’s children’s books, which not only tell great stories, but have wonderful illustrations. She also really enjoyed Bill Peet: An Autobiography.
- The Voice He Loved, by Laurel Schunk
- The Happy Hollisters series, by Jerry West (illustrated by Helen S. Hamilton)
If you have the opportunity to check out any of these books or authors, I hope you enjoy them as much as my mum has!