At the end of 2020, I announced my intention to participate in the Bout of Books Readathon, which took place from January 4th through the 10th. Having just completed this readathon, I wanted to take some time to discuss my thoughts about my experience as a participant.
This was my first time participating in Bout of Books, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself! What I liked most about this particular readathon was the fact that it was very low-stress. Social media-based activities and challenges were available, but they were also optional. I did choose to participate in the majority of the readathon’s Instagram-based challenges, which were a lot of fun, but I spent most of the week doing what I enjoy most…reading.
Bout of Books challenged readers to spend time reading-in-place for thirty minutes at three specific times throughout the day (10 AM, 4 PM, and 10:30 PM, EST). While I was not always able to read at these times, and I did choose to take some time away from social media during the week, you can find daily reports regarding my readathon participation/progress on Twitter.
During the course of the readathon, I ended up reading a tremendous number of books. I made a significant amount of progress on my reading of one series in particular, Kerry Greenwood’s Phryne Fisher Mysteries.
Here are the titles I chose to read during Bout of Books…
Books I finished reading:
- The Left-Handed Booksellers of London (Garth Nix)
- The Castlemaine Murders (Kerry Greenwood)
- Clanlands: Whisky, Warfare, and a Scottish Adventure Like No Other (Sam Heughan and Graham McTavish)
Books I read cover-to-cover:
- Queen of the Flowers (Kerry Greenwood)
- Death By Water (Kerry Greenwood)
- Murder in the Dark (Kerry Greenwood)
- Murder on a Midsummer Night (Kerry Greenwood)
- Dead Man’s Chest (Kerry Greenwood)
Books I began (or continued) reading, but have not yet finished:
- Season of Storms (Andrzej Sapkowski)
- Casino Royale (Ian Fleming)
- Unnatural Habits (Kerry Greenwood)
If you missed out on participating in this month’s Bout of Books Readathon, the next round (Bout of Books 31) is scheduled for May 10th through the 16th. I’m already looking forward to it!