Good morning, everyone! Today is a very special day, because it’s my dad’s birthday! In celebration, I thought it would be fun to share some of his favorite books and authors with you.
Like me, my dad loves to read, and he enjoys a wide variety of genres and writing styles, including: adventure, science fiction, mysteries, comic books, and young adult fiction. He also enjoys reading non-fiction, focusing mostly on biographies, politics, and military history.
Here are some of the books and authors that my dad recommends reading…
- Jane Austen — According to my dad, Pride and Prejudice is his favorite of Austen’s novels, but he is “also partial to Sense and Sensibility, Emma, Mansfield Park, Persuasion, and Northanger Abbey.”
- Issac Asimov
- Ray Bradbury
- Tour of Duty: John Kerry and the Vietnam War, by Douglas Brinkley
- The Hunger Games trilogy, by Suzanne Collins
- Clive Cussler — My dad is a huge fan of Clive Cussler’s writing. He has thoroughly enjoyed reading The Dirk Pitt Novels, The NUMA Files, The Oregon Files, and The Fargo Adventures. He has also read and enjoyed several of Cussler’s Issac Bell Adventures.
- The Sherlock Holmes Mysteries, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
- Company Commander: The Classic Infantry Memoir of World War II, by Charles B. MacDonald
- James Rollins
- The Harry Potter series, by J.K. Rowling
- Kidnapped and David Balfour, by Robert Lewis Stevenson
- War Games: Inside the World of Twentieth-Century War Reenactors, by Jenny Thompson
- Up Periscope, by Robb White
- The Winds of War and War and Remembrance, by Herman Wouk
If you have the opportunity to check out any of these books or authors, I hope you enjoy them as much as my dad has!