It’s been a busy (and very tiring) couple of days, but I’ve been able to make a tremendous amount of progress on my home library reorganization project. In fact, the project is almost done!

Here’s a look at what I was able to accomplish this weekend…

You may notice a few places where space has been left open. These spaces are reserved for books that I have either preordered, or that are currently being shipped to my home.

Over the past couple of days, I’ve spent a lot of time sitting on the floor of my library/office space, surrounded by stacks of books. As I mentioned in my previous post, I did elect to separate all of my books into categories. Within these categories, I did my best to keep all of the books alphabetized by the author’s last name, but there were a few places where I had to make exceptions to keep specific books and series out of Darcy’s reach.

*The shelf on the bottom left contains my school yearbooks. As I mentioned in my previous post, this area is blacked out to protect my privacy, as well as the privacy of my former students.

My books are divided into the following categories:

  • Non-fiction
    • Autobiography/biography
    • Sports
    • Movies
    • Humor
    • Mythology
    • History
    • Culture
    • Writing
    • Self-help/medical
  • Comics
  • Yearbooks*
  • Fiction
    • Classics/poetry
    • Christian fiction
    • General fiction
    • Historical fiction
    • Romance
    • Horror
    • Fantasy
    • Science fiction
    • Mystery/thriller

The most difficult part of this project, outside of the physical demands (mostly reaching, bending, and lifting) was determining where each book would ultimately fit. There are a significant number of books in my collection that easily fit into multiple genres. This is especially true for many of the young adult novels I own, which often combine romance with another genre. For the most part, I went with my first instinct when it came to classifying these books.

I’m really pleased with the way in which my bookshelves turned out. It will take me a little bit of time to get used to the new placement of the books, but I think it will be much easier to locate specific titles in the future.

Now that the books are back on the shelves, I have just a few more things to complete before I can consider the project officially done:

  • Arrange collectibles on top of bookcases
  • Frame and hang new artwork
  • Clean off desk

I will be completing these final tasks tomorrow morning, and will post my final project update in the afternoon. I hope you’ll come back tomorrow to see the finished room.

One thought on “The Home Library Project, Part Four: Almost Done

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s