Happy National Book Lovers Day! It probably won’t surprise you to learn that National Book Lovers Day is one of my favorite “national days.” Under normal circumstances, I would be celebrating by spending a couple of hours browsing my local bookstore, before coming home (with more books than I originally intended to buy) and reading for the rest of the day.
Of course, nothing about 2020 has been normal. Because of the pandemic, I really do not feel comfortable going out for things other than groceries and prescriptions, especially given the increased number of COVID-19 cases in my area. So I have chosen to alter my plans for National Book Lovers Day. Rather than going out to a bookstore, or even to the library, I’ve decided to stay home and continue reading my current book. There may be a little bit of book browsing that happens on Amazon later, but I’m not planning to buy anything today.
If you’re looking for ideas for how you can celebrate National Book Lovers Day safely in 2020, here are some of my suggestions:
- Download and Read A New Ebook: Rather than going to a bookstore, you might consider spending some time browsing ebooks today. Personally, I love to borrow ebooks through my library’s Overdrive app. It’s a great system! You don’t have to worry about driving over to the library to pick up your book requests, plus you get to keep them for the same amount of time as a regular library book.
- Read A Book Aloud: If you have kids at home, reading aloud is a fun way to spend time together. You could read to them, have them read to you, or even take turns.
- Re-read An Old Favorite: Instead of going out and looking for a new book to read, you could choose to spend the day re-reading an old favorite.
- Read A Book From Your TBR Pile: If you’re anything like me, you probably have some books in your home that you’ve owned for years, but haven’t read. You could choose to celebrate National Book Lovers Day by making some progress on that TBR pile.
- Recommend A Book To A Friend: Have you recently read a book that you absolutely loved? Today is a great day to recommend that book to a friend. Personally, I love getting book recommendations! If you’d like to share a favorite title with me, or with our online community, please feel free to leave a comment on this post.
- Blog About Books: If you have a blog, or have considered starting one, you might consider writing a post about some of your favorite books.
- Work On Your Book: Are you currently writing a book of your own, or thinking about writing one? If so, you could spend some time working on your book today. You could also share what you’ve written so far with a friend or family member.
I hope that you have a wonderful National Book Lovers Day, and a great rest of the weekend!