Summer is officially here, and it is a great time to be reading! If you’re currently participating in this year’s POPSUGAR Reading Challenge, you might be thinking that this is the ideal time to get caught up on your remaining prompts…or you might be considering taking a break to focus on some more summer appropriate reads.
You might be interested to know that POPSUGAR has recently released a brand new Summer Reading Challenge to help inspire you to read over the summer.
This challenge is comprised of 20 prompts, most of which are related to the summer season, or summer vacations. You can find a graphic containing the prompts on POPSUGAR’s website, along with suggestions of titles to fulfill each one, but here is a list of this summer’s prompts:
- A book with “summer” in the title
- A book with a summer drink or cocktail on the cover
- A book that takes place in your favorite (or dream) summer destination
- A book about a vacation
- A book about an LGBTQ+ protagonist
- A book with an item you’d find at the beach in the title
- A book with a body of water or pool on the cover
- A book set at a resort or hotel
- A book with a release date of June, July, or August of any year
- A summer-set thriller
- A book involving a summer romance
- A book about Black history in America
- A scary book you’d read around a campfire
- A book that takes place during the summer before high school or college
- A book that takes place in a beach town
- A book with “sun,” “sand,” or “waves” in the title
- A book with sunglasses on the cover
- A book about camping or summer camp
- A book classified as a “beach read”
- A book that makes you nostalgic for summer (re-reads welcome)
While I am not currently planning to participate in a second challenge this year, I do think that this is a really solid line-up of summer reading prompts. If you’re planning on doing a lot of reading this summer, and you’ve never participated in a reading challenge, this is an excellent chance to “dip your toe in the water” and give it a try.
If you’re looking for book recommendations specifically for this challenge (or for the 2020 POPSUGAR Reading Challenge), I highly recommend checking out the Ultimate POPSUGAR Reading Challenge group on Goodreads. It’s a great community, and group members do an awesome job of providing each other with reading recommendations.